Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pretty Bird

So we are going to give the pet thing another try. Here's the whole story. Last week we took the kids on a walk and found a parakeet in the middle of nowhere. The kids managed to catch it and we carried it home in an old cup. Because it was late we told the kids we could go the next night and get him a proper cage, food, etc. They were so excited about it all. Well he didn't make it through the night. I had already sent the kids off the school when I came home and realized he was dead. I cried for almost an hour (I'm blaming that on the pregnancy hormones) but mostly because I knew how upset the kids would be when they came home from school and my heart broke for them. And I was right, they both cried. We went to the pet store anyway and bought a new bird along with all the supplies. They got to pick out there favorite. He his a very pretty bright yellow and green parakeet. They named him Sunshine. We've had him less than a week and I'm surprised at how well he is doing. He lets all the kids hold him on their finger. They are only allowed to hold him inside the cage for now so they sit next to the cage and put their hand inside to hold him. The bird has a really nice personality, he has never tried to bite the kids. If he doesn't want to be held he just turns his back on them. I got a book on parakeet care and read it to the kids. They are being very gentle and patient. I'm working with the bird during the day so that when the kids come home from school he is very friendly. I have to admit I'm really enjoying having him around. I'll try to get some picture of the kids holding him.

No comments: