Saturday, March 28, 2009

Stop The Madness

The kids were off school this week for Spring break. I thought it would be a good time to end the experiment. We had a quick family home evening about it and all went shopping. The amazing thing is we didn't go crazy and buy up the whole store. We focused on fresh fruit, bread, and dairy products (I missed my yogurt). I told the kids they could pick one box of cereal and one junk food treat each. I'm glad we tried the experiment though because it saved us a lot of money, helped us see our food storage flaws, and gave me a chance to empty out and defrost the chest freezer. Now I'm determined to make menus two weeks at a time, plan ahead, buy in bulk more and keep using the food storage I have on a regular base.
One of my favorite things was experimenting with different bread reciepes. I have to give the credit to Pioneer Women cooks - dinner rolls. What a great and easy (and egg free) reciepe. I even did it with powered milk and could not tell the difference.
I plan on going to the Sams club next week and restocking the chest freezer with practical things and not just eggo waffels.

1 comment:

Heather Jewell said...

Hey, don't dis Eggo Waffles. They are a nutritious part of a complete breakfast.
Good talking to you the other night. I miss our chats.