Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Half Way Point

We are about half way through the experiment so I thought I'd do an update. Obviously we ran out of fresh fruit and veggies first. Most of the quick food is gone, pop tarts, fruit snacks, cookies and crackers.
Good things I've noticed thus far are that the kids don't seem to notice or care. When they ask where are the pop tarts I say they are gone and they find something different to eat. I've also been baking more, making little muffins and treats for the kids for after school snacks. They are excited to have something homemade and different to eat and I enjoy the cooking. I think we are actually eating healthier. There is no junk food in the house so if we are hungry we have to make something so we are usually to lazy and end up skipping the snack because we really weren't hungry in the first place just bored or passing through the kitchen.

Bad things - cooking takes time. I have the food and the recipes to make the dinner but after a busy day sometimes I just don't want to. For example yesterday I made a Taco pocket. Basically you make your own bread dough, roll it out, fill it with taco meat, beans and cheese, fold the dough over to make a seal and cook it. It is really good but I have to start at 3pm to have it done by 5:30. Packing lunches is getting harder too. The bags of chips and all the other individual snack things are all gone so I have to take more time to pack the lunches. I miss the variety of things in the house. Because I used to shop once a week we always had something new to eat. Now nothing changes, its the same snack food day after day.

Confessions - We spent the weekend at my husbands families house and I really liked having something else to eat. They had ice cream and different cereals, it was pretty exciting. The Sunday before that we had dinner at my moms house. Also yesterday I went shopping and bought milk, apples, bananas, and grapes. It made me a little sad to see how excited the kids got over apples. Ethan actually asked for an apple for breakfast. But on the good side I hope it helps them appreciate it.

I found out the you can exchange 1/4 cup applesauce and 1tsp baking soda for one egg in muffins, cakes and cookie. I haven't tried it get but I plan to. I also did a little research on fresh vs. frozen for veggies and the nutritional value. Frozen actually is better in some cases. Fresh loose the nutrition quickly over a week or more but frozen is frozen at the time of peak freshness to maintain the nutritional value. I need to do more research. Over all it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would. I'll keep you posted. I

1 comment:

Heather Jewell said...

Wow, looks like you are finding out lots of great information. I am learning a lot through you; especially the snack variety part. I never thought of storing several different snacks so you don't get burned out. Keep up the good work.