Monday, January 12, 2009

Ethans' ride in a Ambulance

It's 9:00 on Monday morning and it has already been a very exciting day. Yesterday Ethan came down with a little cold, slight fever, and tiny cough. At 3:00 am I heard him coughing and crying so I went into his room to give him some water and check on him. He was wheezing, coughing and barely breathing. He was very pale, limp and his lips were slightly blue. I called to Shaun and said, "Ethan is having trouble breathing, come look at him." He rushed right in picked him up and diagnosed him with big words then said call 911 right now. I got on the phone dialed the number and gave them the information and handed the phone to Shaun for the medical stuff. I got dressed ran downstairs, unlocked the door for the EMT called our neighbors on the cell to come over and watch the other two kids so we could go the hospital. Meanwhile upstairs Ethan started throwing up yucky gunk but it helped his breathing so that was good. The firetruck and ambulance were there within 5 minutes to take over. They were very impressed with Ethan PJ's, he just happened to be wearing him firetruck ones. I decided to ride in the ambulance with Ethan and Shaun followed in the car. As soon as we got to the hospital they gave him medicine to drink and medicine to breath in. He had croup. My kids have had coughs and colds lots before but this was a new experience for us. He was such a good little patient. We stayed for around 4 hours for obsertavtions and just got home. My plan is to have a good cry, say a prayer and go to bed.

2 comments:

Heather Jewell said...

Oh man, what a day! Poor little guy (and mom). I am glad that he is doing better now and back at home. Give him some kisses for me.

Tina said...

You poor things! We have become experts with the croup; in fact Katie has a case right now (and she is already 5). We have had 2 ambulance rides (Austin & Katie) and a hospital stay not to mention dozens of ER visits. I am so sorry that you all had to go through that. But I am very glad to hear that he is doing so well now :)